Living in and aroun...

Living in and around Glasgow  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Golfchick
(@golfchick)

Okay guys hoping you can help here. I find out Monday if I've got a job at Glasgow uni. The odds are good and two full time roles are available so I wanna look into where to live. I'm renting with a dog so choices are limited as always so I wanna pick wisely. Train or driving into the centre is an option, both being available would be good depending on time of year or my mood. I would like somewhere that has a little green for ziva but doesn't have to be covered in it as I'm prepared to drive a little way for the best spots on a summers evening. A balance needs to be achieved between rental costs and transport cost. All very well if it's only £400 pcm but it costs me £200 pm to get into centre

Posted : 04/07/2015 2:35 pm
asdfqwerty
(@asdfqwerty)
Estimable Member

Good luck with the job!

I drive to the university and it's becoming almost prohibitively expensive. The current council plan is to almost triple the parking costs in the west end so on top of petrol, you're also looking at high parking fees. Staff parking permits in high demand and its only getting worse as they are building over one of the car parks. Trains aren't very convenient as it's a twenty minute walk from the nearest station. There's the subway five minutes away opening up park and ride options. I'd estimate I spend £60 a week on petrol and parking, coming from 30 miles away.

Living in the city is expensive but it becomes more balanced when you take travel out of the equation. Immediately surrounding the university are overpriced run down student flats, but you could find something nice near Kelvin Park which gives your dog space to play.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2015 3:11 pm
Golfchick
(@golfchick)

£60 for thirty miles doesn't seem too bad however how long does that take you? The trouble with a long commute is it means longer away from the dog and earlier that I have to get up in the morning to do her walks etc cheers!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2015 3:54 pm
asdfqwerty
(@asdfqwerty)
Estimable Member

Once Glasgow City Council get their way with the parking changes, that'll become £100-110 a week for me. I'll probably switch to using carpark at Kelvinbridge subway station to save a bit of money.

My commute is around 50 minutes to an hour to the university, leaving from the other side of the Kincardine Bridge. Then again, I leave the house at 6.45am to beat the traffic. Traffic builds quickly if you're coming from the east of Glasgow and it's not uncommon that 50% of the time is for the last 10% of the distance. It's faster going home (~45 minutes).

Used to live south (near Lanark) and west (near Greenock) and traffic was much better coming from those directions.

Edit: it's not that the traffic is so terrible that I leave at 6.45 to get in on time, I just hate wasting time in the car and I'd sooner start and end my day a bit earlier.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2015 4:17 pm
dmck6
(@dmck6)
Estimable Member

If I were to move back to Glasgow then I'd be considering around the Shawlands area. Used to stay in a nice big tenement flat on the southern edge of Queens Park - it had good bus links to town (and to the Subway stations), was quiet considering the fairly central location, and wasn't too expensive. Pollok Park is close by which would be big enough for a quick spin. Plus, it's only a 10 minute taxi journey back home from the Sub Club! 😀

(A little further afield, a family member of mine has recently bought a house on the outskirts of Rhu. They seem to really like the Helensburgh area. Although going by their standards 😮 I can't imagine that area being exactly cheap...)

I hope that proves to be of some use! Feel free to ask or PM any questions though, always happy to help.

EDIT: Also, driving out of Glasgow from there wasn't too bad - good access to both the M74 and M77.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2015 4:52 pm
Tanuki Trail
(@tanuki-trail)
Estimable Member

South side somewhere, Shawlands, merrylee, cathcart, Kings Park etc and cycle to work, take you 15mins..save the money that you would have used on fuel and buy another bike..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2015 5:17 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

driving in from the southside isn't bad. I've no idea what role you are doing but I did my PhD and have worked at glasogw uni. If you are in research then getting in early is good and you can normally find a space outisde the Joseph black building and not pay (not on university avenue). You can also park inbehind the kelvin hall for free and walk up through the south gate. Alternatively its £2.50 per day in the kelvinhall car park. public transport is pretty darn good in Glasgow so anyway in a big radius will get you in. I live in the southside and it takes me around 50mins from leaving my house to getting to the lab by public transport or 45 mins by bike.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2015 8:47 pm
boardinbob
(@boardinbob)
Reputable Member

If you're working at Glasgow university then I wouldn't bother with the south side if you want to use public transport. You'd have to mix and match trains and subway or use the horrible buses. Loads of cheap renting options around the uni and you have kelvingrove park and the botanical on your doorstep. Milngavie easily reachable for biking

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/07/2015 10:01 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

depends where you live, the 44 goes up to the uni

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2015 1:25 am
dmck6
(@dmck6)
Estimable Member

@POAH wrote:

depends where you live, the 44 goes up to the uni

That's what I used a lot of the time and it wasn't that bad (for a bus!). Although I think it's now changed to the number "4" service.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2015 9:13 am
stuartw
(@stuartw)
Reputable Member

If you work at Glasgow University, you should live in the west end. Being able to walk to work is great. Also there are plenty of parks, shops, bars, restaurants, underground stations, and it ils fairly close to the city center.

Good luck with the application.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2015 3:49 pm
poltheball
(@poltheball)
Reputable Member

I'm a student at Strathclyde, I live out in the west end near Garscadden station (Yoker area), and it's a 7mile commute by bike mostly along a tarmac'd old railway. Really good commute (pretty much flat so only takes about 20-25min), really cheap accommodation, and it's not as rough an area as some would have you believe.

The more expensive options are bus or train;
-Train takes 15-20 mins, costs £3 each way
-Bus (number 6A I think) takes 45mins, costs £2 I think

If I were you I'd look to find accommodation out that way, Clydebank or similar. Best of luck :thumbup:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2015 3:56 pm
Golfchick
(@golfchick)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I find out tomorrow and will be based in customer services if I get it. Outdoors is far more important than pubs and bars to me. I just need to find the balance between distance for countryside and extra time getting to and from work. Choices for rental with a dog are fairly limited as well!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2015 6:49 pm
poltheball
(@poltheball)
Reputable Member

If outdoors is important, Clydebank is a stone's throw from Old Kilpatrick which has some great trails, and if you end up living in Milngavie you're on the doorstep of Mugdock and the start of the West Highland Way, which again hosts plenty of great trails. I'd definitely avoid driving in, either get the train or bike it, as buses take quite a while during commuting hours!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2015 8:47 pm
boardinbob
(@boardinbob)
Reputable Member

Yes but buses are disgusting. I've lived in shawlands for 13 years. If I was working in the west end I'd live in the west end. £600 a month for a two bedroom flat in my street. Youll get better vfm and social scene out west

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/07/2015 9:20 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2018

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Working

Please Login or Register