what new shock ?

what new shock ?  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

Hi all . I will need new shock very soon most likely from TF Tuned .
Not decided what to get. Monarch + RC3 Debonair (£359) or new Fox Float X EVOL (£489) Has anyone here experience with both shocks? Is it worth to pay extra £130 ?
I need shock with some sort of on the fly propedal/ comp adjust . Was thinking of Float X2 but allen key is needed for low comp adjust so not really handy. Cane creek inline is not my choice and DB air is too expensive. Dont want Xfusion..

Posted : 30/06/2015 7:05 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

CCDB Air is a tenner more than the fox. That would be my choice, as IME fox need a shock tune to get the best out of them, whereas CC are infinitely adjustable by the user.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 7:21 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

@nobeerinthefridge wrote:

CCDB Air is a tenner more than the fox. That would be my choice, as IME fox need a shock tune to get the best out of them, whereas CC are infinitely adjustable by the user.

TF tuned will custom tune any shock anyway free of charge .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 7:50 pm
Captain Mainwaring
(@captain-mainwaring)
Noble Member

What's the reason for discounting the CCDB Inline? I replaced the Fox on the Bronson and it has literally transformed the bike. The tuning you can do is pretty much infinite with high and low speed compression adjustment, high and low speed damping adjustement, and air can volume adjustment which defines the progressiveness of the compression curve. It was pretty good on the base settings and have just about finished the fine tuning to where I believe I have about the perfect setup.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 8:03 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

@Captain Mainwaring wrote:

What's the reason for discounting the CCDB Inline? I replaced the Fox on the Bronson and it has literally transformed the bike. The tuning you can do is pretty much infinite with high and low speed compression adjustment, high and low speed damping adjustement, and air can volume adjustment which defines the progressiveness of the compression curve. It was pretty good on the base settings and have just about finished the fine tuning to where I believe I have about the perfect setup.

inline is designed for trail bikes with around 120-150 mm of travel. My Slayer has 165 mm and is definitely more towards DH.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 8:29 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

just ordered monarch plus rc3 debonair 2016 for £359 . should get it in 2 weeks from tf tuned.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 9:00 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

@Trauty wrote:

inline is designed for trail bikes with around 120-150 mm of travel. My Slayer has 165 mm and is definitely more towards DH.

marketing blurb plus its fitted to various 150-160mm bikes. you can get it in a 213x65mm size too so not restricted to short travel bikes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 10:07 pm
Captain Mainwaring
(@captain-mainwaring)
Noble Member

@Trauty wrote:

Where does it say that? If you go on the CC website it even comes up with the CCDB Inline as one of the recommended shocks for the Slayer.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 10:49 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

@Trauty wrote:

Where does it say that? If you go on the CC website it even comes up with the CCDB Inline as one of the recommended shocks for the Slayer.

''The first twin-tube mountain bike shock designed specifically for aggressive 120-150mm travel bikes. Features the same adjustability, performance, quality and technology of the DB shocks in a lighter weight and smaller size''
I remember advert video where a dude from cane creek was saying that actually. I can see the Inline shock cost around 370. That is very good price actually.
Captain what makes you like the shock? Is the Climb shift really good on rocky uphill singletracks/firetracks ?
Is inline just as smooth as DB air just with less oil ??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 11:19 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

I can see the inline fited on Strives and Specialized Enduros , so who am I to know better lol.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 11:24 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

its better than the monarch thats for sure unless its a fire road

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 11:32 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

@POAH wrote:

ok thanks. Are you totally sure you had correct tune on your monarch ?
I can chnge the order anytime as TF Tuned is selling inline shocks too. :think:
edit: just read some of your posts at mbr.com forum and your review of the inline shock . It seems you did not have the debonair version of monarch as that would have sorted your shock travel issues and rebound could have been sorted by retuning at tf tuned also. I believe that inline is very capable shock , but for the sake of simplicity I will try the debonair for now as I believe it will perform just fine .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 11:36 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

@Trauty wrote:

@POAH wrote:

ok thanks. Are you totally sure you had correct tune on your monarch ?
I can chnge the order anytime as TF Tuned is selling inline shocks too. :think:

I was talking about the CS Vs 3 stage monarch switch (although the shock is more sensitive to small bumps than the monarch (standard can)

if you want more of a lockout then the monarch is the way to go; the CS on the inline is different (slow and smooth rather than just stiff) and TBH I rarely use the CS unless its on smooth surfaces. The issues I had with my monarch was not enough rebound and a small air can both of which could have been changed, compression was fine. I did consider getting the debonair air can but I would still have had to have adjusted the rebound shims ( I sold my shock and bought the inline for a bit less than getting the debonair can and tuning the shock). I do feel the inline is better but its not for everyone, it does seem to have limited HSR. I ran 150psi in my monarch, I run 170psi in the inline for the same sag.

what have you got the now, HV RP23?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2015 11:56 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

yes. the original HV rp23 ( with added medium air spacer by me) that came with frame.the shockwas probably never serviced by previous owner , as internals are pretty much done. I had it serviced at Jmaclean cheaply ,but by the looks of it it started leaking oil again , so the shock is wreck basically and service would be £200+ .
debonair has larger negative/positive chamber - 30% less break out stiction --> better small bump suppleness compared to old monarch plus. bottom out progression can be adjusted by red O rings also. Tf will retune the shock if any issues free of charge also.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2015 12:10 am
Captain Mainwaring
(@captain-mainwaring)
Noble Member

can see the Inline shock cost around 370. That is very good price actually.
Captain what makes you like the shock? Is the Climb shift really good on rocky uphill singletracks/firetracks ?
Is inline just as smooth as DB air just with less oil ??

I can only compare it to the original RP23. Both climbing and descending significantly improved. I have no idea how it would compare to the Monarch, but prefer the idea of being able to tune the shock at home rather than having to send it away. Altering the shock ramp profile is a 5 minute job. Not that I am going to do it, but it would be easy to have completely different profiles for different needs like racing vs long day or heavily loaded vs light. The tune I have arrived at works for me for both local XC stuff and last week for multiple runs down the Fort William downhill course. Note that the price does not include the mounting hardware

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/07/2015 7:02 am
Page 1 / 3
Share:

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2018

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Working

Please Login or Register