The West Highland W...

[Sticky] The West Highland Way by Mountain Bike in 3 Days  

Page 7 / 7
  RSS
andyb2622
(@andyb2622)
Estimable Member

Aye, the weather made the trip. Only had 1 shower and a wee bit of hail at Loch Lomond, other than that it was sunshine most the way. Time to start planning another big trip.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 3:30 pm
bensplace
(@bensplace)

I would be really interested is hearing from some one that has done the West Highland Way from north to south on MTB's
I tried it a couple of years ago but I joined a group of friends but it wasn't organised very well.
I am doing it again next year with my son and am doing all the organisation myself.

Or does any one know of a blog or write up from some one who has done it from north to south.

A little vid of a fall by my mate the last time we went for you to have a look at. The funny part is when he picks his bike up he hits his brother on the chin with his saddle lol.
[youtube:36n5guc9]4U-sVhkvZxg[/youtube:36n5guc9]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2013 11:24 am
Hatethatgiraffe
(@hatethatgiraffe)
Estimable Member

See here: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=6523&p=68683&hilit=West+highland#p68683
Same man, tougher challenge!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/09/2013 1:04 pm
trekmamba
(@trekmamba)
Trusted Member

new to site and just read your report , fantastic and well done! i walked it in 2010 and attempted to bike it last May from north to south unfortunately weather was atrocious, snow ! hail! sleet! wind that blew your tyres off!! and by the time we got to king house we were finished both mentally and physically. Needless to say we refuse to admit defeat and plan on a second attempt next May. Thanks for the report great read

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2013 8:15 pm
leido
(@leido)

awsome Blog!

theres a few of us going to do it on the bikes next year so starting to plan early, did you have gps coordiantes specific for the WHW...if so - where did you get them from...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2015 2:21 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

No need for GPX, it's the most waymarked path in Scotland. If you get lost on the WHW, you should be on house arrest for the rest of your natural! :green:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2015 3:51 pm
steviesorefingers
(@steviesorefingers)
Eminent Member

Best teport i've read well done and solo , Awesome !!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2016 3:49 pm
mavman
(@mavman)
Estimable Member

Just read this,awesome achievement,well done and a great blog ,I'm hoping to do this in 2017 and your tips will certainly help.Well done again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2016 2:00 am
doccy
(@doccy)

Great write up of the trip - I read it when I got back last week and it pretty much nailed the whole experience. Amusingly i slipped and fell on the same patch of grass on Conic Hill as the OP.

Interesting doing it in November - not a soul on the track pretty much... though there are logistical problems trying to get baggage moved given that most of the companies shut up shop in October, We were lucky to get help from a real star at Geminiwalks - Julie Deans. Would totally recommend her if you are looking to sort out bags on the WHW....

http://www.geminiwalks.com/scottish-walks/west-highland-way/

Also... doing it in November the ferry is not going to be a reliable option - so you have to do the Inversnaid hell walk whether you like it or not (and it really is hell if you get stuck doing most of it in the dark like us)!

Video here...

[youtube:u6b0pg7d]G5oedSA5J8o[/youtube:u6b0pg7d]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2016 8:36 pm
Jonny
(@jonny)
Member Admin

Brilliant video that. Thanks for posting it :thumbup:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2016 11:40 pm
doccy
(@doccy)

Thanks Jonny.

We were lucky with the weather for November but ideal conditions really... and beautiful with all the leaves falling.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2016 12:32 am
Richie45cdo
(@richie45cdo)

Such a informative report. Amazing effort 💪

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/04/2020 7:05 am
Page 7 / 7
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2020

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register