The West Highland W...

[Sticky] The West Highland Way by Mountain Bike in 3 Days  

Page 6 / 7
  RSS
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

Don't worry too much about tyres, We did the WHW over the weekend, carried all our own gear so around 20kg of bar, frame and saddlebags attached, and on a hardtail as well. I just stuck to my usual spesh purgatory 2.2s which have quite a thin sidewall, and they were fine. I put an extra 7-8 psi in per tyre as well, due to the weight of all my gear.

I'd tend to disagree with RandG on the trye front a wee bit, I'd say your back tyre takes far more of a hammering than the front on rocky trails, as you cant pick your line as easily on the back as you can with the front tyre, and generally you'll have more weight on the back. Especially on a hard tail.

With all that gear on the bike, it amazed me how stable the bike both descended and climbed, the only exception being flat fireroad corners. On techy climbs the bike gets so much traction, it's incredible.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2013 12:16 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

For me personally I thought the front took and awful hammering, and I was quite happy with my tyre choice but horses for courses as they say :thumbup:

Oh and respect for carrying all your own gear, I'd have died at least another thousand deaths on top of the thousand deaths I did die had I carried my own gear.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/04/2013 2:12 pm
andyb2622
(@andyb2622)
Estimable Member

Me and 2 mates have just got back from doing the WHW. Got to say, was a lot tougher than I had anticipated. First 20 miles or so were no problem, only slight problem was taking a wrong turn and ending up about 3 miles off course somewhere near Drymen!
Got to Rowerdennan and had the best steak pie and chips iv ever had. Crazy how good food is when ur using so much energy.
The bit after inversnaid is horrific and I will never be doing it again with my bike!!
The next section after a nights rest in Beinglas started off not to bad, but the next section which has supposedly been upgraded from some kind of funding was a pretty poor surface, god knows what it was like before it was upgraded!!
The run down into Bridge of Orchy was enjoyable, and the next section of DH behind the hotel into Inveronan was also pretty epic.
The drovers road up onto Ranoch moor was a horrible slog on a terrible surface, just glad we got good weather for it!! The DH into the ski resort was excellent, don't fancy it much on a hardtail though!!
The last day started with a long push up the Devils staircase and a nice DH into Kinlochleven.
The push up out of Kinlochleven was hard going as it was about 20º and the next 10 or so miles was a bit of a slog at times due to the loose surface.
Once Ben Nevis appeared over the hill we knew it was nearly done and the fire road down towards the camp site was epic, knowing there was no more uphill.
Nearly at the finish line, we get pulled from the police for cycling along Fort Bill high street 😀

All in all was a good experience, would def do certain sections again, but probs not the whole route as the first 40 miles or so were a bit dull and the last 10 miles of that section are pointless on a bike!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 10:53 am
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

@andyb2622 wrote:

Me and 2 mates have just got back from doing the WHW. Got to say, was a lot tougher than I had anticipated. First 20 miles or so were no problem, only slight problem was taking a wrong turn and ending up about 3 miles off course somewhere near Drymen!
Got to Rowerdennan and had the best steak pie and chips iv ever had. Crazy how good food is when ur using so much energy.
The bit after inversnaid is horrific and I will never be doing it again with my bike!!
The next section after a nights rest in Beinglas started off not to bad, but the next section which has supposedly been upgraded from some kind of funding was a pretty poor surface, god knows what it was like before it was upgraded!!
The run down into Bridge of Orchy was enjoyable, and the next section of DH behind the hotel into Inveronan was also pretty epic.
The drovers road up onto Ranoch moor was a horrible slog on a terrible surface, just glad we got good weather for it!! The DH into the ski resort was excellent, don't fancy it much on a hardtail though!!
The last day started with a long push up the Devils staircase and a nice DH into Kinlochleven.
The push up out of Kinlochleven was hard going as it was about 20º and the next 10 or so miles was a bit of a slog at times due to the loose surface.
Once Ben Nevis appeared over the hill we knew it was nearly done and the fire road down towards the camp site was epic, knowing there was no more uphill.
Nearly at the finish line, we get pulled from the police for cycling along Fort Bill high street 😀

All in all was a good experience, would def do certain sections again, but probs not the whole route as the first 40 miles or so were a bit dull and the last 10 miles of that section are pointless on a bike!

Have to disagree with you about the drovers road up to To the rannoch moor ( Ba bridge) as i think the hard cobbly surface makes for fast, easy climbing.
Anyhoo.....well done mate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 11:05 am
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

I was dying on the drovers rd, great weather but i was fecked.

Well done though chief, like you, i dont think i would do the whole lot again, second half ye.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 11:10 am
andyb2622
(@andyb2622)
Estimable Member

Yeah, ur possibly right. It may of jst been down to a bit of fatigue on the second day. Just felt like it went on forever then when u thought u were finished and git a bit of downhill another hill appears infront! Amazing how u find the energy again though to batter back down the other side. 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 11:13 am
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

@andyb2622 wrote:

Yeah, ur possibly right. It may of jst been down to a bit of fatigue on the second day. Just felt like it went on forever then when u thought u were finished and git a bit of downhill another hill appears infront! Amazing how u find the energy again though to batter back down the other side. 😀

Its a filling rattler coming down it on a hardtail the opposite way though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 11:15 am
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

That drovers rd does go on forever, feck knows what it would be like in a driving westerly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 11:19 am
andyb2622
(@andyb2622)
Estimable Member

We were actually saying that. Cant imagine getting caught up out there in driving rain and strong winds. The road between Kinlochleven and Fort Bill is similar, don't think it would be much fun in bad weather. Actually met some old guy on an ancient motor bike coming along there. He had the right idea! 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 11:55 am
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

I have had some great times doing the WHW either doing it from Fort Bill or Milgavie, and doing certain sections over and over again.
Do these pics bring back the pain? 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 12:28 pm
andyb2622
(@andyb2622)
Estimable Member

Looks like we had slightly better weather!!
Might try it again in the opposite direction? Alot more climbs that way though i would think?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 1:12 pm
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

@andyb2622 wrote:

Looks like we had slightly better weather!!
Might try it again in the opposite direction? Alot more climbs that way though i would think?

I think the climbs pan out easier, although the loch lomond section can be a REAL slog as you have covered a fair few miles beforehand, but i prefer north to south if there there is not too much of a sou-westerly wind working against you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 1:36 pm
andyb2622
(@andyb2622)
Estimable Member

Would probably miss out that section if I were to do it again and just get the ferry to Inversnaid, totally pointless on the bike, but I just wanted to say I had completed the whole route.

Heres a few photos from our trip.....

Best packet of Rolos EVER!!!

A wee rest after 6/7miles of hell 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 2:09 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

Majic fotays, makes me wanna go again, well the second half that is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 2:16 pm
kevcar43
(@kevcar43)
Noble Member

Very very well done lads, looking at yer foties brings back memories of stretched muscles and being knackered, you got better weather than we did , www.effnsoaked.com we were :clap:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2013 3:19 pm
Page 6 / 7
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2020

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register