SXC: why do more pe...

SXC: why do more people not take part?  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS
JohnMcL7
(@johnmcl7)
Estimable Member

@dezzy wrote:

- On the short laps, as AndyP has said - this is the modern standard from UCI level downwards and it's much better from a spectator's point of view, plus all the other points Andy has made. I don't think that will change, but again, what I can't figure out is why people are happy to do GT7, TUTB, Relentless, etc, which are all multi-lap races that cost twice the price of an SXC yet they don't want to do an SXC race. Still scratching my head on that one and would love to figure out why and how we could attract those people

- I get the point on travel for a short race not being worthwhile, so perhaps that's where increasing the laps in the Taster category or alternatively doing a category in between Taster and Sport with more laps might help

You've answered your own question there for me and I'm sure a good few others, I've done Relentless24 and Ten under the Ben as their duration makes it worth the travel time particularly as I don't race at all seriously, it's just something for a change now and again. I've taken part in CX races but only because they were part of a locally organised series, they were good for a change but I wouldn't have driven any distance to them as it isn't worth it for me and it's the same with the SXC races. Plus I have to say the replies in this thread are pretty offputting, it sounds like it's taken quite seriously if people who are clearly way faster than me are saying they're comparatively that slow on SXC.

John

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2015 1:38 am
dezzy
(@dezzy)
Noble Member

Thanks guys. Even more good positive suggestions thanks! I like the weight category suggestion! Didn't realise they did that in the USA. I don't think you need a specific XC race bike to give it a shot but then I think a lot of people are "over biked" these days and feel they need all the suspension travel in the world for trails you could do with 100mm or 120mm. But that's a whole other topic!

Thanks again for the feedback and I've passed the thread onto the SXC committee to make sure the ideas and suggestions are captured.

Cheers,
D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/11/2015 10:13 am
AndyP
(@andyp)
Reputable Member

Have we got a progress report on this one?
SXC have a nice new website up, entries are open for 2016 races, but nothing about any format changes.
I appreciate some changes could take a good long time to discuss, and may even be rejected, but longer 'taster' races seems a bit of a no brainer to get the ball rolling.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2016 1:35 pm
dezzy
(@dezzy)
Noble Member

Hi Andy,

I fed all that back to the committee but nothing as yet around change of format for Taster. I'll chase it up.

Glad to hear you like the website . . . my wife designed and built it 😀

D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2016 2:16 pm
Photocal
(@photocal)
Reputable Member

I didn't mention before but a explanation of the race classes and licenses may be of a benefit, it is something that has put me off in the past when with the No Fuss type of event its simply a matter of turning up and riding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2016 9:39 pm
dezzy
(@dezzy)
Noble Member

All that info should be in here Cal...

http://www.sxc.org.uk/#!about/cfvg

You do not need a British Cycling race license for any SXC other than the Scottish Championships.

D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2016 11:37 pm
JohnMcL7
(@johnmcl7)
Estimable Member

@dezzy wrote:

You do not need a British Cycling race license for any SXC other than the Scottish Championships.

D

What category would you race in if you're in your 30's? The only two I can see are Elite or Taster and the age specific ones don't seem to include that range unless I'm misreading it?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2016 12:07 am
AndyP
(@andyp)
Reputable Member

@JohnMcL7 wrote:

@dezzy wrote:

D

What category would you race in if you're in your 30's? The only two I can see are Elite or Taster and the age specific ones don't seem to include that range unless I'm misreading it?

New riders wishing to compete for licence points would enter the sport category.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/01/2016 1:28 am
oscarboy
(@oscarboy)

Hi
I checked out SXC and the first race is at Laggan. What parts would this take in as I haven't been there for some time but do remember bits like razor edge and butchers slab, 2 ton drop, etc I think was all do-able on a FS bike and knee pads Just not sure if I would like to ride these techy black bit features on a 4inch travel xc hard tail though. Or do I just need to mtfu ?
Was thinking about giving it a bash but Laggan is v techy, I think more than Kirroughtree black ( mcMoab aside)
Thoughts or advice?
D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2016 6:59 pm
druidh
(@druidh)
Honorable Member

Presumably it'll be on the Red then?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2016 10:06 pm
dezzy
(@dezzy)
Noble Member

Last year's race at Laggan climbed up the usual fire road before then going up (i.e. Opposite direction to normal) the top section of the orange route with the berms. Then rejoined the fire road until the split where the upper red and black goes off to the right. There, we hung a left and did the lower redd section with all the rock gardens. Great fun. Then into the trees and eventually coming down to the point where we had climbed up the orange in the wrong direction. It then used the bottom section of the orange so more fun on the berms and jumps all the way back to the finish line.

Was a great course. Good mix of steady climbs, technical rocky sections and fun berms and jumps as well as a wee bit that was slightly more natural through the trees. Didn't use any of the black sections but still a good challenge in places at race pace.

D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2016 5:53 am
oscarboy
(@oscarboy)

thks Dezzy gives a real good picture, pick your brains if I may? advice on courses in general is it best to recce the day prior to race
:thumbup:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2016 5:19 pm
dezzy
(@dezzy)
Noble Member

Absolutely please pick away! :thumbup:

Yes I'd always recommend doing the practice the day before if possible. They usually have the course taped by 1pm on the Saturday. Even if it's a trail you know well, they might throw in some bits you don't know and it also helps you figure out where you can take a drink or gel and where potential overtaking points are, bits that play to your strengths, etc. Also means you can session any tricky technical sections so they don't phase you in the race but I wouldn't spend too long on those... Have seen people spend half an hour on one wee technical bit to get the perfect line that will save them a second when they could be figuring out where else they can save tens of seconds!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/02/2016 9:16 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

my bike!!!!. 6 inches travel, 30lbs, heavy duty tyres and heavy duty components......

fair point about that, but then lets be honest - you could have fairly cheaply changed some spec for the race and improve your result by at least 10% easily if you swapped tyres to some tubeless 500g-ish xc, pumped up shock for less sag and more low speed compression to steepen up seat tube and head angle. trust me on this. rear semi slick xc tyre + your enduro fitness and that extra 5 lbs is not big deal..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/02/2016 11:21 pm
dezzy
(@dezzy)
Noble Member

Guys,

Got feedback from the SXC committee regarding the taster category. They are sticking with the current format for the following reasons:

- It's supposed to be for complete novices to "give it a try" and may put people off trying it
- 3 laps may fail a risk assessment for a novice race on some of the more technical courses
- The committee feels that if someone is of a high enough standard to ride for 3 laps then they could do Sport/Vet/Senior category which tends to be 3 or 4 laps
- They understand the point about having to race against the "fast guys/girls" but lots of people come along knowing they won't get on the podium (and that goes for any race series). Having more categories will just split the races into smaller numbers and take away from the excitement of racing in a larger field and have more people moving between the categories, which complicates matters

Hope that makes sense and if you do have anymore feedback, you can contact the SXC committee via their website at http://www.sxc.org.uk

First race of the season is at Laggan on 27th March. Hope some of you can make it. It was a great course last year and uses a mixture of the rocky sections from the red route and some off piste bits through the trees.

Cheers,
D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/03/2016 10:20 am
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2020

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register