Spongey Rear Brake

Spongey Rear Brake  

RSS
pandhandj
(@pandhandj)
Trusted Member

All,

my rear brake keeps going spongey! Its a basic Shimano (M395) set up that came on the bike. I replaced the pads (front & rear) in May. Front has been fine.

I have bleed the brakes twice since May. Initially it's fine but then gets spongey again. I did have a wee bit of sticky piston in the rear(!), could that be the issue?

Do i take the whole thing apart of just upgrade to SLX?

cheers,

paul

Posted : 04/09/2015 9:50 am
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

get slx or xt. maintenance free basically

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2015 9:50 pm
asdfqwerty
(@asdfqwerty)
Estimable Member

No idea about what the problem could be, but if you upgrade I'd recommend Deore or XT, not SLX. There's not a lot of difference between Deore and SLX to warrant the extra money.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2015 10:29 pm
pandhandj
(@pandhandj)
Trusted Member

thinking it through, it must be air getting into the system (ovs!). So i reckon that will be the seal on he piston that was sticking (maybe?). I cant find a maintanence kit for shimano brakes, so it looks like new ones.

bike discount in Germany are doing a set of Deore for £72 + del or SLX for £75 + del,

decisions, decisions..

cheers all for the input.

paul

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2015 7:53 am
asdfqwerty
(@asdfqwerty)
Estimable Member

If it's not happening frequently, you could try a mini-bleed to see if it helps get the air out and firm them up again: http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/5-minute-shimano-mini-bleed/

Also, most brakes from outside of the UK will come reversed (left = front, right = rear) so you may have to swap hoses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2015 12:17 pm
pandhandj
(@pandhandj)
Trusted Member

asdfqwerty,

thanks for the link, not seen that before. I have an epic bleed kit and have been doing the full bleed. I didn't know about the reversed brakes from Europe either. My Dia-Compe's on my BMX in 1983 were right hand rear, etc. My trek has an internal rear cable, so i would be dis-assembling any way and thanks for the advice

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2015 1:00 pm
glasgowdan
(@glasgowdan)
Reputable Member
Geebs
(@geebs)
Reputable Member

Yep, second the guy's advice. Deore's on the hardtail, spot on with no worries. SLX's on the susser and again spot on. FWIW, I'd say the SLX's are better but that's maybe because that bike does the hard biking as opposed to the H/T which is more for local training stuff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2015 8:18 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

is it spongy or just the pads are far away from the discs?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2015 8:03 pm
pandhandj
(@pandhandj)
Trusted Member

its spongey, that pads are very close to the disc. It also appears to be centred properly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/09/2015 8:31 am
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2019

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register