Sorer as you get ol...

Sorer as you get older / lightweight body armour  

RSS
The Silver Surfer
(@the-silver-surfer)
Reputable Member

Hello,

I fell off last Saturday up the water of leith walkway and snapped my collarbone. Just not concentrating when taking a corner, my front wheel hit a tree stump and I was slammed into the ground.

I've never had protection but thinking about getting some sort of lightweight base layer body protection for general and xc riding.

Anyone got any suggestions of what to buy or experiences they could share?

Posted : 10/10/2015 11:17 am
Captain Mainwaring
(@captain-mainwaring)
Noble Member

Sorry to hear about the collar bone but not sure that body armour would have prevented that sort of injury anyway. Never tried armour but I am guessing it would be too hot for anything except pure downhill. I've had lots of pretty big offs but nothing more than a few cracked/bruised ribs to date. My "protection" is to do a reasonable amount of upper body strength work so that if you do come off your arms and torso have the strength to absorb the impact without damage

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/10/2015 9:09 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

As CM says, no armour would help.

Obviously, I try to avoid falling off!, but over the years, I've got to the stage now that if I do I naturally know not to put my hands out, instead trying to roll out of it if possible. I've dislocated both shoulders, and know how painful it is, but fortunately I've always been near civilisation when I've done it previously. I don't fancy doing it miles from anywhere on a ridge.

Learning to fall off should be on skills courses! :green:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/10/2015 2:06 pm
Gordy
(@gordy)
Noble Member

I use 661 sub gear all the time - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/661-sub-gear-s-s-shirt/rp-prod113566

It can be warm on summers days but never too bad and I have a long sleaved version for the really cold days! Its not massive protection but will take a bit of the sting out a fall! :thumbup:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2015 12:12 pm
Ally
 Ally
(@ally)
Honorable Member

Ouch, hope it heals soon. As mentioned above, no body armour will help against a broken collarbone.

I’ve got a Brand-X jacket with integrated chest, back, shoulder and elbow/forearm guards but way too hot to pedal in – I use it exclusively for DH only. I’ve had some hefty crashes in it and it definitely helps, but there’s no way you could wear that to pedal around in comfortably (although I’ve been out with someone who does…).

However, as I’ve got older I’ve recently invested in lightweight kneepads which I wear on all rides inc long-day stuff. Took me ages to find some inc ordering £400+ of pads via CRC, but finally settled on some IXS ones. Already tested them and they work well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2015 2:12 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

got dainese trail skin knee pads, bliss arg minimalist elbow pads (also leatt 3DF when lewis isnt using the bliss pads for his knees), a evoc back protector back pack and either i7DP or met parachute FF helmet. broke my collar bone in april this year, nothing would have prevented it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2015 8:54 pm
The Silver Surfer
(@the-silver-surfer)
Reputable Member

Thanks, still pretty sore but 10 days in and healing. Back to the hospital tomorrow for another x-ray.

Still going to get something as convinced the Mrs I can help prevent it happening again, and also for a bit of general protection anyway. Rather wear a top with built in protection and narrowed it down to the 661 gear as mentioned above, or this-

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Scott-Recruit+Compression+Gear-301175560-black/

Has anyone tried it before?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2015 9:52 pm
Gordy
(@gordy)
Noble Member

@The Silver Surfer wrote:

Thanks, still pretty sore but 10 days in and healing. Back to the hospital tomorrow for another x-ray.

Still going to get something as convinced the Mrs I can help prevent it happening again, and also for a bit of general protection anyway. Rather wear a top with built in protection and narrowed it down to the 661 gear as mentioned above, or this-

http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Scott-Recruit+Compression+Gear-301175560-black/

Has anyone tried it before?

Not tried it but looks similar to the 661 stuff so I don't think you will go far wrong with either!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2015 1:48 pm
Captain Mainwaring
(@captain-mainwaring)
Noble Member

If you think it will help then go for it, but remember it would probably not have made any difference in your recent crash. I would suggest one note of caution which is that the more protection you have on, the bolder you tend to get, simply because subconsciously you don't feel there is as much risk. That could lead you to try things you might otherwise avoid riding and actually end up having a bigger crash. I guess the opposite side of that coin is that if you feel more confident you may commit more so you are less likely to screw up. Swings and roundabouts ....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2015 2:38 pm
The Silver Surfer
(@the-silver-surfer)
Reputable Member

Yeah good advice, although I wasn't doing anything difficult when i came off. Just a lapse in concentration along with a bit of bad luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2015 9:34 pm
Share:

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2018

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Working

Please Login or Register