Pitlochry  

RSS
pandhandj
(@pandhandj)
Trusted Member

Hi Guys,

looking for a bit of trail advice...

I am going to a wedding in Pitlochry next month and I thought that i could take my bike and get a few hours riding in during the day, before going to the reception in the evening.

I have never ridden in that part of the country before, so could anyone offer any advice on where to go? Laggan is about an hour past Pitlochry for me, so thats possible.  As is Comrie Croft, but they are trail centres and i havent done muct trail centre riding before, so dont really know if I will like them (it's not that i dislike trail centres, just that i havent really done much riding there).

On the other side of the coin, if i go to epic, I will be spent and maybe not enjoy the reception.

So, can anyone recommend 2-4 hrs of riding in the Pilochry area, that wont leave me wrecked in the evening?  Hopefully it wont be to wet (aye right),

thanks,

paul

Posted : 12/10/2017 9:38 am
team womble
(@team-womble)
Estimable Member

Don't know Pitlochry mtbing trails myself, but will point out that Dunkeld / Birnam is only 20 minutes south and has plenty of varied stuff.

There are gentle trails with scenic shiz to take in at the Hermitage where you can cruise up the side of The Braan to the falls and then up further to Rumbling Bridge and back round to Inchewan Burn in Birnam Glen.

And if you're more adventurous there are also the multitude of enduro style trails to choose from. They can be a little tricky in the wet over the numerous roots and rocks, so depending on your ability and desire to remain upright and injury free for the reception in the evening is a judgment call you'll have to make.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2017 7:09 pm
pandhandj
(@pandhandj)
Trusted Member

Thanks Womble, i will have a wee look-see on the interweb. Cheers, paul

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2017 8:43 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

hello,

first we need to know what kind of riding you are after. XC  landrover tracks or   steep enduro singletrack ?

There is decent bike shop  at village. they will  give you the best advice possible.

have a look at trailforks - that  would be my best advice really.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2017 10:30 pm
pandhandj
(@pandhandj)
Trusted Member

Thankyou Trauty. I will check that out too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/10/2017 6:51 am
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

Park at the train station at Dunkeld ... Go through the underpass and head up left following the river and stay on it climbing all the way up Birnam hill. Pink Floyd and Rake and ruin start from near the top. Easier than the trails at the mast across the road but the roots on Pink Floyd can be slippy. As above have a look at Trailforks for the area. As for a XC route from Pitlochry there is the short and steep Ben Vrackie or for a longer outing there is the much longer and harder Edradynate estate loop starting up the Rob Roy way from Pitlochry. It heads up high on the Eastern side of Farragon hill and descends a long doubletrack then road back to Pitlochry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2017 12:44 am
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2020

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register