New winter jacket

New winter jacket  

RSS
dahedd
(@dahedd)
Estimable Member

Im looking at getting a replacement for a very knackered Altura Mayhem.

Any recommendations? I've found the Mayhem to be a great jacket but to heavy/warm for usual riding. It's great for standing on the train station platform when Scotrail decides not to turn up after I ride to the station but too hot for bombing round the woods.

Budget of £90/100 max

Posted : 06/01/2016 11:09 pm
Kirk_graham
(@kirk_graham)
Trusted Member

Keela Saxon?

Appears to have a lot of good reviews. Bought one myself, not used it on the bike yet though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2016 1:08 am
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

Madison addict is spot on budget wise, and gets great reviews too. Their kit is great now, nice enduro bright colours for the pictures :green: and they have a great warranty - any stitching or other stuff goes, as long as it's not obvious crash damage, and they replace without question.

I try and buy their kit when I can now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2016 7:33 am
Ally
 Ally
(@ally)
Honorable Member

I’ve recently bought this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-power-gore-tex-active-jacket/. £108 but appears worth it. Much lighter weight and appears much more breathable than the Altura jacket (possibly a Mayhem too) I use for MTBing. Time will tell if it’s durable. I’m using mine for commuting but tend to bust a gut on the way home (+200m elevation gain…) and usually feel warm on the bike anyway, so wanted something with decent breathability. There’s a more baggy version for a few quid less: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-element-gore-tex-active-shell-jacket/ but the Power one in XXL fits me perfectly (185cm, 89kg).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2016 9:06 am
dahedd
(@dahedd)
Estimable Member

Thanks guys. Tbh it's as much for the commute to the train station then the inevitable wait on the train soaked platform when the Aberdeen bound train is delayed yet again. In really crappy weather I tend to stick to the local woods in the tree line so the Mayhem is too hot.

I tried an Endura Singletrack on in the local Alpine yesterday, lovely jacket with £30 off but it's really just the same as my Convert but with a hood. I'm not convinced it's as waterproof as I'm looking for.

I'm quite tempted by a few on the Trespass site, maybe not as bike friendly but bright & substantially easier on the wallet.

Lesson learnt. Bought Trespass Zachary jacket, £200 down to £60. High vis yellow, nice feeling jacket. BUT the Zip fell off the pocket after 10 minutes wearing it at my work to show it off. Didn't even get to look at my bike with it on :confused:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2016 1:10 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member
AndyP
(@andyp)
Reputable Member

Sounds like you maybe want 2 jackets.
New softshells with DWR are warm, windproof and will shrug off light rain.
+ a stuffable waterproof shell for when its pissing down.

Keep an eye on the sales and you should be able to do both within budget.
Only thing you are missing is a hood.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2016 10:45 pm
dahedd
(@dahedd)
Estimable Member

Sorted.

Evans had a Green Mayhem ex display on sale fair half price. Thought bugger it & bought it. Enough faffing.

Now I'm back looking for another helmet. Not liking the Bern Morrison I got for Xmas much. The never ending cycle of spending money on mtb related stuff continues :-/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2016 7:10 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

@nobeerinthefridge wrote:

Madison addict is spot on budget wise, and gets great reviews too. Their kit is great now, nice enduro bright colours for the pictures :green: and they have a great warranty - any stitching or other stuff goes, as long as it's not obvious crash damage, and they replace without question.

I try and buy their kit when I can now.

how is the sizing on it, I quite fancy the addict

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2016 4:42 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

Not sure about the jacket sizing, as there's a few more variables than shorts, arm length etc, but generally pretty steady. Sprockets in Kilmarnock have a large range of Madison kit, not far from you IIRC?.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/01/2016 9:08 pm
Share:

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2018

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Working

Please Login or Register