Gilets  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Climbingcragrat
(@climbingcragrat)
Famed Member

There seem to be a lot of folk wearing Gilets these days. Not sure if they are roadies who have discovered mountain biking or this is indeed a trend. Not being one to follow fashion ( :think: ) but wondering what you guys think. They obviously pack down small so perhaps good as a back up but not sure i would want to leave my jacket at home.

Posted : 20/02/2016 12:53 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

I have a gore alp-X soft shell that the sleeves come off, quite like it for coldish dry short rides, as it has 3 back pockets for carrying stuff when I don't want to ride with a camelbak. Also has a handy mid chest pocket for the phone Phil.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2016 2:55 pm
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

Never seen the point to them TBH.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2016 6:41 pm
Gav
 Gav
(@gav)
Reputable Member

@Climbingcragrat wrote:

There seem to be a lot of folk wearing Gilets these days. Not sure if they are roadies who have discovered mountain biking or this is indeed a trend. Not being one to follow fashion ( :think: ) but wondering what you guys think. They obviously pack down small so perhaps good as a back up but not sure i would want to leave my jacket at home.

They are good for days where it's too cold just for a shirt but too warm for a jacket. I have a gore jacket that the sleeves can come off. When/If it gets warmer, I normally use it without the sleeves but carry them in my pack. Just in case.. Endura also do a jacket with removable sleeves IIRC

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2016 8:35 pm
druidh
(@druidh)
Honorable Member

I have an Endura Convert jacket that has removable sleeves. It's just another way of fine-tuning warmth and comfort.

On the road bike, my normal attire would be short-sleeve jersey, gilet and arm warmers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/02/2016 9:41 pm
AndyP
(@andyp)
Reputable Member

Lightweight stuffable gilet is great for summer evenings where you can be sure it'll stay dry, but is likely to get colder.

Have also recently acquired a bontrager softshell with removable arms that I reckon is going to be awesome for springtime.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/02/2016 12:39 am
Jethro
(@jethro)
Estimable Member

Gilets - excellent. For all the reasons folks mention above - just such a versatile bit of kit to have to hand. Have one which is thin soft shell and one that is thin pertex-type fabric. I wear the softshell one most (it is a TNF summit series). Great under a softshell jacket as a mid-layer when very cold, or alternatively over baselayer/t-shirt throughout most of the year. Rarely on for whole ride, and easy to add or remove according to conditions.
Also provides good entertainment when hearing all the different ways that people pronounce 'gilet'............

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2016 2:29 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

I think they look gash.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2016 4:28 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

More thoughtful, intelligent insight from you as ever.... :clap:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2016 5:44 pm
paul
 paul
(@paul)
Reputable Member

aye but he's no wrong though 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2016 7:58 pm
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

How can something with no sleeves be versatile? You put one on when its cold but your arms suffer so you add arm warmers. Better of with a softshell that you can roll up the sleeves if needed or as mentioned one with zip off sleeves IMO. Its seems to me Gilets are compromised but thats just my opinion never having owned or thought about owning one.

http://www.esquire.co.uk/style/article/7184/style-debate-is-it-ever-ok-to-wear-a-gilet/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2016 8:57 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

@nobeerinthefridge wrote:

You're welcome :thumbup:

Reminds me of tank tops when I was in primary school, they were gash then 40 years ago, they haven't got any cooler in that time :green:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2016 9:54 pm
druidh
(@druidh)
Honorable Member

@Fadgadget wrote:

thats just my opinion never having owned or thought about owning one.

'nuff said.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/02/2016 10:49 pm
paul
 paul
(@paul)
Reputable Member

@RandG wrote:

@nobeerinthefridge wrote:

You're welcome :thumbup:

Reminds me of tank tops when I was in primary school, they were gash then 40 years ago, they haven't got any cooler in that time :green:

i would have had your back about the gilet thing but dont be slagging the tank tops, i used to be the coolest in school with mines back in 85, or so ma maw told me :red: 😆

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/02/2016 9:18 am
dezzy
(@dezzy)
Noble Member

I find a gilet a really useful bit of kit on MTB or road. In particular on the road for colder descents after a climb. Even in the summer when it's warm, the chill on a descent can get right into your body, but arms feel fine.

On the MTB, it's handy to have when the trails are wet, or it's just a bit windy/chilly, but a full on jacket would make me over-heat a bit.

My new sponsors kit, which was made by Kalas (highly recommended) has a jacket with removable sleeves. Have already used it as a full jacket and will definitely use it in gilet format in the spring. Also find a gilet handy to keep my core warm before a race start.

The gilet I've got is a Bontrager race windshell. As I've said, for me it's mainly about wind rather than rain, so that one is only showerproof. The wind proofing is good though.

D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/02/2016 12:15 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2020

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register