Ghetto tubless:

Ghetto tubless:  

RSS
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

I've done this before but I think I'm getting something wrong. I have the set up, I pop in 60+ psi in my bottle, release it, seems to inflate, then it goes a bit pear shaped.

I attempt to get the core in and tyre deflates and back to square one.

What am I doing wrong ??

Posted : 01/09/2015 2:25 pm
stuartw
(@stuartw)
Reputable Member

Is the air coming out the valve hole, or around the edges of the tyre? Or through holes in the tyre?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2015 4:02 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

Out the valve hole.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2015 4:09 pm
team womble
(@team-womble)
Estimable Member

Being a keen womble, I have been checking out the ghetto options.
I found this link that shows a method I was considering trying which utilises 20" bmx inner tubes for 26" rims.
Does anyone think this method has serious flaws?

http://www.mtbtechniques.co.uk/MaintananceGhetto.html

Here is some text from within the article that may point to the problem the OP is experiencing.

"Fit your tyre on one side of the rim and push the bead into the groove in the rim wall.

Check the gap between the tyre bead and the base of the rim. This gap depends on the tyre and rim combination.

Remove the tyre and if there was no gap or a very small gap of under a millimeter run a layer of double sided tape around the bed of the rim. If the gap was larger use the foam packing tape to ‘raise ‘ the rim bed as required to reduce this gap to around one millimetre.

If you leave this gap too large it can cause air to burp out of the tyre under hard cornering if the tyre bead is pushed away from the rim wall. With the gap removed the tyre bead still seals against the base of the rim even when pushed away from the rim wall."

Edit: too late in posting as OP problem is at valve hole and not bead seating.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2015 4:12 pm
POAH
 POAH
(@poah)
Reputable Member

after you have let the pressure go start pumping again to increase the pressure in the tyre. Had to do this with lewis's wheels. not all the air from the bottle goes in the tyre remember. that gives you more play when putting the core back in. If the air is escaping from the valve hole then redo the valve and make sure you have sealant in to seal it up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2015 6:01 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

@POAH wrote:

make sure you have sealant in to seal it up.

That sounds like you are suggesting having the sealant before I blow things up ???

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2015 7:42 pm
marccr0wley
(@marccr0wley)
Noble Member

How ghetto are your valves?

Superstar ones should seal without sealant if you've taped the rim nicely. I'f you're using old tube valves you may struggle to seal it without sealant due to the mouldings.

If it's seating properly, get some sealant in.

I've stopped using home brew sealant after having run out and buying a bottle of CaffeLatex. Quite expensive but works well and is less hassle than faffing with mixing up potions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2015 8:19 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

The valves are Dswiss proper tubeless valves

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2015 9:05 pm
glasgowdan
(@glasgowdan)
Reputable Member

Put sealant in, put the valve core in and pump up normally with a track pump...always worked for me! No need for ghetto inflator devices etc

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2015 7:12 am
Photocal
(@photocal)
Reputable Member

When doing ghetto tubeless I've used gorilla tape in place of rim tape and superstar valves.
Worked a treat, used my ghetto inflator sealant in first inflator seats the tyre then I get the valve core in FAST to stop it deflating back to square one.

Works a treat.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2015 10:21 am
(@)
Noble Member

@glasgowdan wrote:

Put sealant in, put the valve core in and pump up normally with a track pump...always worked for me! No need for ghetto inflator devices etc

this - soapy water round the rim, put sealant in, valves in, mount tyre, pump up until around 50psi until you hear the bead pop on. job done using a track pump.

Done it on loads of tyres/rim combo's and never had any issues.

Hang the rim upright.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2015 1:00 pm
Trauty
(@trauty)
Noble Member

@glasgowdan wrote:

correct , but sometimes you need a ghetto inflator - when your rim is dinged and a tyre is old. :thumbup:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/09/2015 5:09 pm
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2019

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register