Friendly Glasgow Bi...

Friendly Glasgow Bikeshop?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Hatethatgiraffe
(@hatethatgiraffe)
Estimable Member

Where do you guys recommend?
Remember growing up spending hours in West End Cycles chatting about bmx bikes and shooting the breeze ๐Ÿ™‚
Preferably west end or Southside!
Cheers
HTG

Posted : 22/08/2013 4:57 pm
Coutts1974
(@coutts1974)
Estimable Member

I'd recommend freeflow in shawlands, they also have a unit at cathkin just along from the commonwealth track.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 5:02 pm
Hatethatgiraffe
(@hatethatgiraffe)
Estimable Member

Seen them when googling earlier, what's the stock selection like?
Looking for some POC knee pads and noticed they had some showing online, although seem to be ยฃ10 more than rrp ๐Ÿ™

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 5:17 pm
alexchung
(@alexchung)
Prominent Member

Freeflow are really good! I have dropped in at the Unit near Cathkin and they are really good there for a natter.
Alex

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 5:48 pm
alphadynamic
(@alphadynamic)
Estimable Member

@Hatethatgiraffe wrote:

Seen them when googling earlier, what's the stock selection like?
Looking for some POC knee pads and noticed they had some showing online, although seem to be ยฃ10 more than rrp ๐Ÿ™

I was in about 6 weeks ago and it was pretty barren. Spoke to the young chap who's taken over from his dad, and it's 90% online sales now, with a warehouse in another location. Nice dude though! Great web site, but not reflective of in store contents.

What about Alpine in the west end? Good selection in there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 6:39 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

Alpine doesn't have great choice IMO, too governed by distributors. Travel twenty minutes further south to sprockets in Kilmarnock. Craig has bikes from yeti, transition, Santa Cruz, cotic, cannondale, genesis... Not many bike shops can say that!. Nice guys in the shop, always willing to do a deal and a coffee shop joined on!. Win win win!.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 10:05 pm
Hatethatgiraffe
(@hatethatgiraffe)
Estimable Member

My only memories of Killie are over hyped pies and a bowling alley that turns into a dancing after 12 but will look into it ๐Ÿ˜‰
Thanks
Htg

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 10:16 pm
(@)
Noble Member

@nobeerinthefridge wrote:

Alpine doesn't have great choice IMO, too governed by distributors. Travel twenty minutes further south to sprockets in Kilmarnock. Craig has bikes from yeti, transition, Santa Cruz, cotic, cannondale, genesis... Not many bike shops can say that!. Nice guys in the shop, always willing to do a deal and a coffee shop joined on!. Win win win!.

indeed - been in quite a bit recently and good bunch of lads in there. Loads of stock and plenty of stuff.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 10:40 pm
daverice
(@daverice)
Eminent Member

Used Freeflow twice now, since LBS closed down, and cannot fault them. Full sus and commuter bike been in and I'm happy with price and quality of work on both. Don't know any of the guys personally, but they seem to be a trustworthy and genuine bunch. Used the Pollokshaws Rd branch, never beer to the Cathkin one. My new almost local bike shop!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2013 11:28 pm
hainman
(@hainman)
Honorable Member

what about Dales??seem to be a good shop for stuff....+1 for Freeflow,only used the cathkin one as i got there and put my rear wheel on and my rear qr snapped,they helped me out big time and never robbed me by selling me an over priced qr.also gave us a tour of the work shop while trying to hunt down a spare qr for me..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2013 8:11 am
steviesorefingers
(@steviesorefingers)
Eminent Member

Bike love garscube rd

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2013 8:38 am
alphadynamic
(@alphadynamic)
Estimable Member

@hainman wrote:

what about Dales??

Quite roadie there no? They've started doing Yeti, but aside from that it's Specialized and Giant. Not what I'd call a friendly environment at all. There's a good wee place in Newton Mearns, called Adrenaline Bikes. Very MTB orientated.

Of course the perception of what makes a good shop is very subjective. I've always had a good relationship with Alpine, never been impressed with Dales for example, but someone else could have a completely opposing view.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2013 9:45 am
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

@alphadynamic wrote:

@hainman wrote:

what about Dales??

Quite roadie there no? They've started doing Yeti, but aside from that it's Specialized and Giant. Not what I'd call a friendly environment at all. There's a good wee place in Newton Mearns, called Adrenaline Bikes. Very MTB orientated.

Of course the perception of what makes a good shop is very subjective. I've always had a good relationship with Alpine, never been impressed with Dales for example, but someone else could have a completely opposing view.

Dales? Kinda TK max atmosphere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2013 10:19 am
stuartw
(@stuartw)
Reputable Member

I think Glasgow is well served by bike shops.

Alpine is my most local. While the stock is pretty mainstream they are always polite and professional and any work I have had done is to a good standard, on time and as (or sometimes less than) quoted.

Dales has a huge choice of all types of bikes. Road bikes are where the volume sales are at the moment so there are more on the floor than mtbs. Workshop is good, I find the staff friendly enough. I am a huge fan of TKMaxx, Dales is nothing like it.

Bikelove is a nice wee shop but I have not been in for a while.

Freeflow are good too but Southside is a bit far for me. Again not been in for a while but they used to have a great selection of bling parts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2013 12:37 pm
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

Although neither west end or south,big Als Wheelcraft in Clachan of Campsie knocks the spots of the lot of them. Go in, you will be asked if you want a coffee and a biccy......browse around the place and have a chat with the man himself.
He may even let you look up in the attic at the huge range of wheels, rims, headsets ect.
You can spend a couple of hours in Wheelcraft with no pressure to buy anything.
This is the epitome of a friendly bike shop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2013 1:24 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

ยฉTrailScotland - 2020

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Youโ€™ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register