Formula RX woes

Formula RX woes  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
sab6247
(@sab6247)
Reputable Member

Well I installed a new set of RX brakes on my new build BFe as I thought I'd treat my self to some new anchors, after using oro k18's for some time now and loving them I am mightily disappointed with the newer range from formula.

Does anyone else have these and find them lacking in modulation and feel? I upgraded at the earliest opportunity to add on the FCS to see if this would help, guess what no joy!

Are these just crap brakes or do they take time to come to you?

The oros are immense in terms of power, have lovely modulation and feel and I know that I can brake late, the RX though have thus far not inspired confidence. Oros back on now and the RX relegated to the spare buddy bike.

Does anyone have any similar experiences with the RX's and if so have they improved any with continued use?

Before I get bleed recommendations both been done when installing fcs and cable shortening, perfect bleed on both using the avid kit so it's not bleeding they need!

I'd be keen to hear other people views on the newer generation of formulas.

Posted : 16/02/2013 2:02 pm
Mud-plugger
(@mud-plugger)
Noble Member

both sets of Oro 18's i had were crud and couldnt stop a kids trike. The RX's i have on my Zesty are fantastic and changed my oppinion that formula brakes were crud. The modulation and control i have the RX are fantastic, i was watching people bail on steep techy stuff, they were sliding about all over the place, my RX have a nice progressive bite that just feels great, i made my way down the section nice and controlled....after that i was extremely happy with this set of formula brakes.

whats FCS?

I know you wont like what ive got to say but it sounds like you have not got the bleed technique right for them.

Tell us exactly how you bled them? that way i will know if what ive said is justified, you may well be right and could have a duff set but normally its human error, we have all been there 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 2:15 pm
RandG
(@randg)
Noble Member

WTF is modulation :crazy:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 2:16 pm
Mud-plugger
(@mud-plugger)
Noble Member

when you apply the brake, modulation is maximum power without causing the wheel to lock up and skid 😉

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 2:17 pm
sab6247
(@sab6247)
Reputable Member

FCS Is the bite point adjustment barrels not always standard on the RX.

Bleed process followed the video on YouTube with the terrible English going through the avid/formula bleed process, hose, calliper then finishing on the lever, checked this process against other recommended methods from mr nutt on singletrack forums and the struckies from avid and formula, seals all checked and ok, same bleed process as my oros which are still fantastic after bleeds so I'm fairly sure the bleed is good, all the usual degass don't pull too hard etc etc etc.

I will say the RX has a hell of an initial bite but I can't get a good lever feel, also the levers feel a bit wobbly almost as in not as robust as the shorter straighter oro levers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 2:27 pm
Captain Mainwaring
(@captain-mainwaring)
Noble Member

by supafly » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:17 pm

when you apply the brake, modulation is maximum power without causing the wheel to lock up and skid

Hmm, that's not really how I would describe it. Modulation is more about feel than actual power. Brakes with good modulation allow you to feel the point at which the wheel is about to lock up. I find Hope brakes have great modulation in that I can do steep descents in slippery conditions and extract the maximum braking potential available without quite locking up. They are very progressive in the way that power is applied. On the other hand the Hayes brakes I have tried seem to be be either on or off with no middle ground

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 3:19 pm
nobeerinthefridge
(@nobeerinthefridge)
Noble Member

As CM says above, modulation is basically a progression from very little power right through to full on stopping power. People often talk about 'grabby' brakes, this means that they give pretty much full power right away, instead of gradually.

Have you bedded the pads in? Most brakes feel shit straight away, and it wouldn't be the first time brakes have needed bled a few times before all the air is out the system. I bleed brakes with them off the bike if possible, with the lever attached about 6 feet up the garage wall, and the hose and caliber hanging down vertically, means all the air will rise to the lever.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences about brakes. Me personally, I love both my formulas (the ones and megas), but thought avids were pretty poor, and hopes seemed good at the time, but were blown away by avids, which in turn couldn't get near the formulas! Never tried shimano.

I've had formulas on two bikes for 3 years and 18 months respectively, and haven't had to bleed them since first bleed when I trimmed the hoses at initial build. My avids required a bleed every time I changed pads. Each to their own.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 6:13 pm
sab6247
(@sab6247)
Reputable Member

@nobeerinthefridge wrote:

As CM says above, modulation is basically a progression from very little power right through to full on stopping power. People often talk about 'grabby' brakes, this means that they give pretty much full power right away, instead of gradually.

Have you bedded the pads in? Most brakes feel sh*t straight away, and it wouldn't be the first time brakes have needed bled a few times before all the air is out the system. I bleed brakes with them off the bike if possible, with the lever attached about 6 feet up the garage wall, and the hose and caliber hanging down vertically, means all the air will rise to the lever.

Everyone has different opinions and experiences about brakes. Me personally, I love both my formulas (the ones and megas), but thought avids were pretty poor, and hopes seemed good at the time, but were blown away by avids, which in turn couldn't get near the formulas! Never tried shimano.

I've had formulas on two bikes for 3 years and 18 months respectively, and haven't had to bleed them since first bleed when I trimmed the hoses at initial build. My avids required a bleed every time I changed pads. Each to their own.

Pads are well bedded in, 25 miles on them now, bled twice once at fcs install and once at hose shortening, maybe I'm just used to the feel of the oros being so progressive instead of getting ahold of the disc in half a heart beat and just about stackin it over the bars or locking up the front and slamming it sideways on mucky downs, I just can't put my finger on why I seem to be having so much bother or why I'm just not feelin it for the newer brake sets from formula?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 7:06 pm
kevcar43
(@kevcar43)
Noble Member

I got a 2yr old bike with RX's on it and i didn't think much of them to start with , discs squealed like a banshee, i liked the lever feel though, i sorted the squeal with some new superstar sintered pads, cleaned up the discs and callipers, i actually had to let out some hydro fluid from the lever as one of the rear pistons wouldn't push back in,couldn't get the pads to fit in otherwise, i've not had to bleed them so i can't comment on that, it's crucial that the pads are bedded in properly though, when i put in new ones i turn the bike upside down and do around 20 stops on each brake to get them heated right up then chuck some water on them, and when i clean the bike after a ride the discs always get a good clean too, always seems to work for me , so now my brakes are great, no squeal, great modulation, great control with them , stop on a penny :thumbup:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 7:14 pm
colinmac
(@colinmac)
Estimable Member

was going to buy a set of these,merlin doing them for £150 but keep reading mixed reviews :wtf:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 7:16 pm
sab6247
(@sab6247)
Reputable Member

@colinmac wrote:

was going to buy a set of these,merlin doing them for £150 but keep reading mixed reviews :wtf:

Yeah that's where I got these, just assumed they would be great like all the oros I've used, you can get oro sets new on fleabay for 140 ish, a better brake in my humble opinion, nicer lever feel and angle, no up and down play like on the RX.

Il persist with these on the buddy bike and see how they develop through further gentler use, I think I must just be so used to what I've been using. Time will tell I suppose, maybe I need to try some more brake brands to see how they compare with the newer formulas.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 7:53 pm
Mud-plugger
(@mud-plugger)
Noble Member

@Captain Mainwaring wrote:

by supafly » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:17 pm

when you apply the brake, modulation is maximum power without causing the wheel to lock up and skid

Hmm, that's not really how I would describe it. Modulation is more about feel than actual power. Brakes with good modulation allow you to feel the point at which the wheel is about to lock up. I find Hope brakes have great modulation in that I can do steep descents in slippery conditions and extract the maximum braking potential available without quite locking up. They are very progressive in the way that power is applied. On the other hand the Hayes brakes I have tried seem to be be either on or off with no middle ground

nope, its how I would describe it....quickly 😉

OP have you been bleeding them on the bike? what way have you got the bike sat when bleeding? do you know its reccomended to bleed them vertically off the bike?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 8:17 pm
sab6247
(@sab6247)
Reputable Member

OP have you been bleeding them on the bike? what way have you got the bike sat when bleeding? do you know its reccomended to bleed them vertically off the bike?[/quote]

Off bike bolted to home made bleed bar, (stud with movable bolts) vertical and full available stretch of the hoses as recommended.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2013 8:29 pm
Mud-plugger
(@mud-plugger)
Noble Member

@sab6247 wrote:

OP have you been bleeding them on the bike? what way have you got the bike sat when bleeding? do you know its reccomended to bleed them vertically off the bike?

Off bike bolted to home made bleed bar, (stud with movable bolts) vertical and full available stretch of the hoses as recommended.[/quote]

damn it, i was hoping you would say on the bike lol, i take it you have tapped all the hose bottom to top and master cylinder, flicked the levers etc?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2013 12:05 pm
sab6247
(@sab6247)
Reputable Member

@supafly wrote:

@sab6247 wrote:

Off bike bolted to home made bleed bar, (stud with movable bolts) vertical and full available stretch of the hoses as recommended.

damn it, i was hoping you would say on the bike lol, i take it you have tapped all the hose bottom to top and master cylinder, flicked the levers etc?[/quote]

Oh yes,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/02/2013 12:26 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2020

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Please Login or Register