Brake fluid coming out of pistons  

RSS
gobstopper
(@gobstopper)

Just tried to bleed my brakes for the first time and it managed to fail miserably as I now have fluid spewing out of the pistons when the brake lever is depressed. I'm not too sure where I went wrong here as I followed the instructions and used a bleed block etc. Is my brake buggered? has the seal on the piston gone? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

This topic was modified 6 months ago by gobstopper
ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2018 9:31 pm
gobstopper
(@gobstopper)

oh these are shimano brakes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2018 9:33 pm
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

Sounds like the pistons have popped out or have came out too far.  Pushing back the pistons on Shimano brakes require you to use a plastic tyre lever or something similar as the pistons have ceramic tops which can crack easily if forced back by a screwdriver.

Take the pads off and gently push back both pistons until they are fully home, fit spacer and rebleed.  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2018 9:45 pm
gobstopper
(@gobstopper)

I've tried pushing the pistons back in with a brake lever but they are not moving back. Should I open the bleed port on the lever and then try push them back in?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2018 10:06 pm
EuanS2
(@euans2)
Reputable Member

Yes, that should allow the pistons to move freely but you may well need to re bleed the system afterwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2018 12:19 am
gobstopper
(@gobstopper)

Managed to get the pistons back in by opening the bleed port on the lever. Unfortunately after re bleeding the same problem persists. Every time I press the lever (with the bleed block still in) the fluid drips out of the left piston, I can also hear a slight grinding noise.  I'm thinking that dirt might have got in to the seal and wrecked it............ 😥 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2018 1:17 am
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

Looks like the seals have gone or the piston has a crack in it. No option but to buy a full calliper for it as it's a faff changing them and the seals for Shimano. I have two spare XT calipers at home that leak oil because the pistons were pushed back at an angle buggering the seals. 

Even better, buy a new brake kit. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2018 1:49 pm
gobstopper
(@gobstopper)

Confirmation of a broken piston.

Took the bleed screw out and this bit of plastic fell out. Do you think this fault will be covered under warranty? The brake is less than 2 years old.

1535483662-201808281731202916.jpg
ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2018 8:14 pm
Fadgadget
(@fadgadget)
Famed Member

Hi. Nope it will not be covered under warranty I'm afraid.  New Calliper time as its easier to get this than seals or pistons. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2018 10:16 pm
gobstopper
(@gobstopper)

New caliper should be with me tomorrow 👍  Thanks for your help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/08/2018 3:39 pm
Share:

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2018

You’ll be automatically logged in 5 seconds.

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Your password reset link appears to be invalid or expired.

Privacy Policy

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Working

Please Login or Register