West Highland Way

This topic contains 37 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  dezzy 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Jonny 
    Participant

Has anyone done this on a bike before and is anyone up for doing this before the summer is out?

DM81 
    Participant

I’ve not done it yet. It’s meant to be fairly stop-start due to the volume of walkers.

I was meant to be riding it for charity with a pal, but the idea got shelved after he picked up a longterm injury. It’s definitely something I would look to do in future though.

Jonny 
    Participant

It looks stunning. It would be good for photographs as well. I would prefer to stay in a B & B as I don’t have any experience camping wild. Have you walked it Drookit? 2 Days would be best I don’t think it would be as good if we were rushing it.

Jonny 
    Participant

I have a guy on Facebook called Brian who is interested. Not sure if he is a member on the forums though

Jonny 
    Participant

20th of August sounds perfect. Bike should be running sweet by that time.

Jonny 
    Participant

Cool.

easty79 
    Participant

Just completed it for the second time last month there, very enjoyable,
    we done over 2 nights/3 days but you could easily do it in two if you push on but then you would miss out on taking in some fantastic scenery and generally you wouldnt enjoy it as much,
    First night we stayed at Beinglass Farm in a Wig Wam on the north side of Loch Lomond, cheap and cheerful, decent shower block and excellent food at the bar,
    Second night we stayed at the Bridge of Orchy Hotel Bunk House, £12 a head and again goood food,
    We had a courier to pick our bags up each morning and drop them off at our digs, theres a few companys that do this,
    As for the cycling, theres pretty much all types of riding from huge climbs to some mad rocky descents, be prepared to hike a bike it a lot especially along the east coast of Loch Lomond (nightmare) there is a ferry from Inversnaid that will take you to the other side of Loch Lomond and you can cycle along the road for a few miles but thats just cheating,
    Overall we all enjoyed it and raised a lot of money for charity,
    Just let me know if you need anymore info and I’ll do my best to help

Jonny 
    Participant

Thanks so much for this info easty.

kevcar43 
    Participant

my mate and i did it in may just as the weather turned nasty, a constant river against us ,north to south over 3 days, took the train from queen st. up to f/w, stayed the night in a b&b then set off next day , very wild countryside , you need to be FIT, take my word for it , we took minimum supplies as we had booked into bridge of orchy bunkhouse for our first stop , (recommended), 2nd day to inversnaid was the toughest , the east side of loch lomond was about 6 miles of carrying and pushing over the toughest terrain iv’e ever done , hard enough walking never mind with a bike , all the walkers we passed said we were absolutely bonkers, inversnaid bunkhouse is about 1km up the hill from the hotel , but well recommended , top food and cheap with a good relaxed atmosphere , and a HOT TUB , the last leg was good going , by this time the hardest part had been done but still hard all the same, lots of flat farmland with a wee bit of hillside chucked in , i could type all night about it , it was an adventure of the highest calibre, fantastic scenery , fantastic pubs to stop in for a pint,we enjoyed the whole experience and we saw parts of the country that are inaccessable by any other means, ..devils staircase ,, oh yes . glen coe ..oh yes,,the finish line at milngavie…. big man hugs involved haha…. ENJOY LADS but be prepared and good luck

CharlieBook 
    Participant

oooh! this does sound awesome! 😀 I was meant to be doing it (in both directions :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ) earlier on in the year, but did not come to fruition

DM81 
    Participant

I would be up for this, but my weekend availability this month is shocking (all one day free here or there at best, but not both).

Jonny 
    Participant

I am doing this for sure. Sounds like something that has to be done.

chrismcg 
    Participant

You are mad for a climb drookit!

CharlieBook 
    Participant

@DrookitMunter wrote:

@charliebook wrote:

oooh! this does sound awesome! 😀 I was meant to be doing it (in both directions :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: ) earlier on in the year, but did not come to fruition

Sounds like you wanna come… Do iiiit! We’ll even let you drink some of your “medicine” on the overnight

:clap: :clap: :clap: apple juice! medicine of champions! 😉 😆

i would love to join you… just not sure the plans for that weekend are yet! will keep you posted 😀

sideshowbob 
    Participant

Hey mate

Would be up for this I would try in one day but I dare say 2 days would be more like it

Train back home would be a good idea,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2017

Hey there!

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

If you were registered on the old site you need to change your password before you can sign in. Please click “Lost Your Password” then enter your username or email address and click reset. You will be sent a new password to your registered email address. If you do not receive the password renewal within a few minutes, please check your junk E-mail folder.

Forgot your details?

Create Account