Pitlochry and Eagagach Loop

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  RandG 4 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
     Climbingcragrat 
    Participant

This route involves around 40km of distance and 1600m of climbing so is not to be undertaken lightly.

There are two climbs so I would recommend starting from Strathtay to get the first climb out of the way while still fresh. There is a laybay for parking just past the Post office at Grid Ref: NN 908532.

Start by heading west on the minor road until you see a road going uphill to the right at Grid Ref: NN 884517. Follow signs for Brae of Cluny. Take the track which skirts the forest and head for Loch Derculich. The surface is a good land rover track and gains height gradually.

Once adjacent to the Loch the track becomes more loose and considerably steeper. It is possible to cycle to the Bealach but you will need to be very fit. Mere mortals will need to push a bit.

The descent from the bealach to the banks of the Tummel is simply awesome. It’s a land drover track so there are always more than one line choice. You will however reach some impressive speeds so make sure your brakes are good.

Once on the banks of the Tummel, head east on a minor road until you reach a foot bridge at Grid Ref: NN 903601. Now starts some really enjoyable singletrack along the river bank. There are plenty of fun deviations which eventually bring you to the Garry Bridge. There is bungee jumping from the underside so you may see someone leaping off.

Continue under the road bridge a short distance north to the footbridge over the Garry. Then pick up the singletrack to take you south towards Pitlochry. Pass Faskcally house and enter the woodland on your right. Singletrack options abound and eventually spit you out at the footbridge at Grid Ref: NN 927586.

Cross the bridge and follow the marked cycleway to the dam at Pitlochry and the Festival Theatre.

The cycleway continues past the theatre and then turns right uphill to a crossing with the A9. This is signed Clunie Path to Strathtay. It is steep and fairly unrelenting so choose an easy gear and try to spin it out. The effort is rewarded in spades as the descent from the Stone Circle to Strathtay is simply brilliant. Fast and swoopy singletrack with perhaps too many gates to reach terminal velocity. Just enjoy as you are almost back to your vehicle.

Jonny 
    Participant

Good write up Philip. Do you want me to feature this on the site?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Climbingcragrat 
    Participant

@Admin wrote:

Good write up Philip. Do you want me to feature this on the site?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

No problem Jonny. 🙂

Trauty 
    Participant

:thumbup:

Jonny 
    Participant

Now over on the main site including the gpx file

http://www.trailscotland.co.uk/pitlochry-and-eagagach-loop/

shortbread 
    Participant

This is a good ride – last time I did it I extedned it a bit by climbing up above Pitlochry instead of heading back down to the town from the Garry Bridge area. The climb goes up to a bealach beneath Ben Vrackie – it’s a long one but the reward is a very good descent down to Pitlochry.

NiallWallace 
    Participant

Did this loop on Sunday

Photos:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/nialliwallace/BeinnEagagachAndPitlochry?authuser=0&feat=directlink

GPS:
    http://ridewithgps.com/trips/813545

Interesting descent off Eagagach on the Zaskar, it’s er fast, very fast, and bumpy, getting my right foot trapped between pedal and top of rut at 20kmh wasn’t exactly fun…

Selected Photos:

You can see a fair whack of the climb to Beinn Eagagach here

Cracking view

Steep and loose, So… 36 tooth cassettes?

Plummet to Tummel

Plummet to Tummel

Nae ta

Climbingcragrat 
    Participant

Did this run today with Beckypumps and a few pals. Really enjoyed the descents but boy is the first climb a slog….

beckypumps 
    Participant

@climbingcragrat wrote:

Did this run today with Beckypumps and a few pals. Really enjoyed the descents but boy is the first climb a slog….

A good day out and fine weather for a change. As well as recovering today I fixed the slow rear puncture, replaced the broken spokes and fitted new rear brake pads. 😀 I would like to add that on the second descents some of the single track is overgrown so maybe err on the side of caution.

Iain

Geebs 
    Participant

Just done this trail on a glorious August day, and what a challenge. Must admit to walking a few metres near the end of the climb. I started at Pitlochry also, and would suggest this is better, as the Rob Roy Way climb out of the town is not long but a steepy to take on after horsing around the singletrack at Garry Bridge. Finding the trail into Edradynate estate is not the easiest for us who map read like a woman as there are several T junctions and options to go wrong. As you hit the dirt after the tarmac climb make sure you see a sign warning of estate shooting rules and you’re on the right road (I took a wrong turn the week before and still don’t know where I was). Another wee safety warning is to look out for the cattle grid at the first gate in the shooting estate. I turned to catch the gate closing behind me and my foot slipped right between the bars, which could have been a nasty one. All in all, a great ride (will take around 3 hours) but you need to be pretty fit or it’s a LONG walk, and make sure your brakes are in good order cos it’s steep and rocket ship fast……….Geebs

RandG 
    Participant

@contained wrote:

They will achieve such a reputation simply because for the duration of quite a few years, the high quality of their merchandise has happy even by far the most tricky customers.Typically, Nike operating shoes come with an revolutionary cushioning technique that lessens the downward impact around the feet even though running. Apart from, it is just a unique sorts of operating footwear and boots and special in design and style for all its private. Ordinarily, footwear of this sort possess a motion handle and firm mid-soles.

Nike free run sale , When you would like to purchase a few breatheable footwear, perhaps affordable AirMax 2011 will likely be the precisely really most effective option for you personally.

Nike air , Anyone donning these form of would likely surely adore these men and women for their smart visual appeal too as outstanding qualities.In the event you will obtain spots, at the same time as ground-in grime, subsequently have a tooth brush and gently scrub till the majority of it really is eliminated.

Nike free run , Light types are viewed as far much better with regards to leading high quality and their capability to prevent incidents. Throughout our retain, all of us present you with the greatest sports shoes.

Mbt shoes , They’ve been cost buying for. That they enhance added patterns to spend certainly for a great deal of activities, along the lines of ball shoes or boots, amble sneakers, laid-back sneakers and a great number of other people.

Mbt , Each and every of those functions sweet flower stencil cutouts near the prime of your shoe. You can get which indicates a lot of factors for you personally to choose MBT footwear. That is more brilliant is MBT trainers may also assist you structure. It mimics the regular Mary-Jane design but using the added function on the patented MBT sole plan. Donning rock solid shoes or boots requires all of the good quality way.

Just what i was thinking…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2017

Hey there!

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Close
of

Processing files…

or    

If you were registered on the old site you need to change your password before you can sign in. Please click “Lost Your Password” then enter your username or email address and click reset. You will be sent a new password to your registered email address. If you do not receive the password renewal within a few minutes, please check your junk E-mail folder.

Forgot your details?

Create Account