Blairadam

This topic contains 907 replies, has 64 voices, and was last updated by  Kingedd 4 days, 9 hours ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #3139
     vorlich 
    Participant

    I’ve been riding it regularly recently, and it’s not too bad.

    But I just wanted to post to say I saw some kids building lips at both sides of the bombhole today. I should have said something when I rode past, but didn’t. They’ve ruined the flow and haven’t left a great deal of room to squeeze past. I’ve no idea how they were intending to ride what they put in, but maybe they hadn’t finished. Should have stuck around to watch them faceplant, I’ll be back up midweek so I’ll report back once I see how they’ve left it.

    #28278
     Monsta_ mo 
    Participant

    Yeah, saw them as well. They even invited me to try their jump? :shifty:

    Was it you I passed going the opposite way just next to the car park?

    The choc slide and drop at end of the ridge were a bit slippy but overall, wasn’t any worse than usual!

    #28282
     vorlich 
    Participant

    I don’t remember seeing any other grown-ups on bikes. But if it was a bearded, miserable looking fella, then yes, it might have been me. 🙂

    I managed to squeeze past their jump. I’m intrigued to see how long it will last.

    #30784
     vorlich 
    Participant

    The bombhole is no more. 🙁
    A matter of time I suppose.

    Theres a huge amount of windfall making the forest unridable, even unwalkable on both the singletrack through the trees and the trails/forest roads.

    The area around the east boundary, with the two trails down to the forest road/totem pole area are severely affected. Bawbag took down one tree across the bottom bridge, but the same area is now criss-crossed with fallen trees. I expect some trail building will be required to reroute around these. 🙁

    #30778
     gme 
    Participant

    I was up walking the dog and surpised at how many trees were down on paths all over blairadam

    Was at Glentress yesterday and only 1 tress down on the red route.

    @vorlich wrote:

    The bombhole is no more. 🙁
    A matter of time I suppose.

    Theres a huge amount of windfall making the forest unridable, even unwalkable on both the singletrack through the trees and the trails/forest roads.

    The area around the east boundary, with the two trails down to the forest road/totem pole area are severely affected. Bawbag took down one tree across the bottom bridge, but the same area is now criss-crossed with fallen trees. I expect some trail building will be required to reroute around these. 🙁

    #30812
     Monsta_ mo 
    Participant

    What have the FC done to the bombhole?

    Looks like it’ll be a while before there’s any of the singletrack ridable again. A squad with some ropes and bushman saws would soon clear the trails. FC won’t touch the MTB specific tracks.

    #30822
     vorlich 
    Participant
    Monsta_ mo wrote:
    What have the FC done to the bombhole?
    quote]

    It has a tree in it 🙁

    The MTB specific tracks can probably be cleared, I’m not sure about ‘soon’ though. There’s some BIG trees that have come down. Would be a lot of graft I reckon. I’d be up for it though, if anyone was interested.

    #30926
     Mr Bos 
    Participant

    Was up this morning. Absolute carnage all over the forest, in particular the trails up on the north edge of the forest between the mast and the cleared section next to the meadow (ie choc slide etc). Whole sections and rows of trees down, couldn’t even find a way into the trail start just along from the mast.

    @Monsta_ mo wrote:

    A squad with some ropes and bushman saws would soon clear the trails.

    I hate to be pesimistic but it’s going to take more than that, and it could take months of work. Cutting through the fallen trees witha chain saw is one thing but the upturned root sections that are blocking trails wouldn’t be so easy to clear, they are massive.

    I was shocked at the extent and level of damage, totally grim… 😥

    #31077
     vorlich 
    Participant

    I went for a wander with the OH and took the camera to document some of the damage in the Keltywood area.

    The first of the trails down to near the Totem pole

    and from a wee bit further back, limited options for re-routing

    The second run down toward the totem pole, not so bad, will be easier to clear with better options for re-routing a new trail too:

    The third trail down, again not as bad, but will require timber removal

    One deid bombhole

    Near the depot/lower car park. The first tree fell in the summer and was cleared, the new one has made passage very difficult . Hopefully the FC will clear this again

    #31080
     Grey 
    Participant

    Do FC allow you to use a chainsaw if your are qualified, Don’t know their current policy as it is probably 10yrs since i worked for them.

    #31084
     vorlich 
    Participant

    @grey wrote:

    Do FC allow you to use a chainsaw if your are qualified, Don’t know their current policy as it is probably 10yrs since i worked for them.

    I have no idea. Maybe the DMTBIS site will have more info on that.

    It might be possible to get creative and route the trail over the fallen timber, and just use handsaws to remove branches…

    #31087
     Grey 
    Participant

    If you find out i could probably help as i am qualified to clear windblown trees.
    If not stick up a trailbuilding date here and i could still probably help. :thumbup:

    #31132
     vorlich 
    Participant

    @grey wrote:

    If you find out i could probably help as i am qualified to clear windblown trees.
    If not stick up a trailbuilding date here and i could still probably help. :thumbup:

    Excellent, I’ll try and find out what the situation is and post up on here…

    #31138
     Monsta_ mo 
    Participant

    It’s not a question of being qualified, it’s the insurance and liability that the FC will query.
    Sure some of the former Bike Blairadam guys will shed some light on this.

    #31902
     Beast_of_Blairadam 
    Participant

    @Monsta_ mo wrote:

    It’s not a question of being qualified, it’s the insurance and liability that the FC will query.
    Sure some of the former Bike Blairadam guys will shed some light on this.

    Strictly speaking, a permit, 7 figure liability insurance (a condition of the permit) and a shift in FC policy is what you’ll need.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 908 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

CONTACT US

We've gone riding, but you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Sending

Mountain biking can be dangerous and is done entirely at your own risk

©TrailScotland - 2017

Hey there!

Forgot password?

Don't have an account? Register

Forgot your password?

Enter your account data and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Close
of

Processing files…

Log in with your credentials

or    

If you were registered on the old site you need to change your password before you can sign in. Please click “Lost Your Password” then enter your username or email address and click reset. You will be sent a new password to your registered email address. If you do not receive the password renewal within a few minutes, please check your junk E-mail folder.

Forgot your details?

Create Account